Sing To Yourself
“Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is. And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit; Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord; Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ; Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.” (Ephesians 5:17-21)
Today’s Morsel: They say that singing can sooth a hurting and broken heart. I am told that a lot of the gospel songs that were written, were sung by slaves during their times of trials and struggle under the brutal hands of their taskmasters. I can remember, as a young boy, working out in the tobacco fields of North Carolina, with the sun and heat being over a hundred degrees, someone, out of nowhere, would just start singing an old gospel song. And others would join in and suddenly you would not be moved by the heat, nor the tiredness, but energy would just rise up from within you, and you would get that second wind to keep going. Even in the military, you could be on a road march hurting and in pain, tired, and feeling like giving up, but as someone would start singing a Jodie, your spirit would be revived, and motivation would return, and you could carry on. When I was a Drill Instructor, I had this young soldier, name Bossheart. Bossheart probably weighed about 150 pounds. And we would be marching back from the Rifle Range, hot, sweaty, tried, worn, and dragging in the hot heat of Fort Jackson, South Carolina; I would call out, sing Bossheart. And he would shout at the top of his West Virgina lungs, “Gloom despair and agony on me, and all the troops would holler, O’ deep dark depression excessive misery, O’ if it wasn’t for bad luck I’d have to luck at all, “O’ gloom despair and agony of me.” Those soldiers would forget their tiredness, and their second wind would come again in them. Paul said “Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord.” The next time you are feeling down, sing.
Sing: I’m gonna praise the Lord anyway that I can. I’m gonna praise the Lord anyway that I can. I’m gonna praise Him in the morning, praise Him all day long, I’m gonna praise the Lord anyway that I can.
Thought For Today: “Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.” (Colossians 3:16)
No comments:
Post a Comment