Monday, December 16, 2019

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 16 December 2019


Comforting Words
  
I saw by night, and behold a man riding upon a red horse, and he stood among the myrtle trees that were in the bottom; and behind him were there red horses, speckled, and white. Then said I, O my lord, what are these? And the angel that talked with me said unto me, I will shew thee what these be. And the man that stood among the myrtle trees answered and said, These are they whom the LORD hath sent to walk to and fro through the earth. And they answered the angel of the LORD that stood among the myrtle trees, and said, We have walked to and fro through the earth, and, behold, all the earth sitteth still, and is at rest. Then the angel of the LORD answered and said, O LORD of hosts, how long wilt thou not have mercy on Jerusalem and on the cities of Judah, against which thou hast had indignation these threescore and ten years? And the LORD answered the angel that talked with me with good words and comfortable words.(Zechariah 1:8-13)

Today’s Morsel:  For a while, it was taboo to utter the words Merry Christmas.  Businesses and employees were afraid to use that phrase for fear of offending others.  But every so often it is good to hear good and comforting words and phrases from others.  Zechariah was concerned for Israel and the people of Jerusalem.  And so he said that the Lord answered the angel that talked with him with good and comfortable words.  Such as would be for the good and comfort of God's people.  God told the angel to tell him, I am jealous for Jerusalem and for Zion with a great jealousy. And I am very sore displeased with the heathen that are at ease: for I was but a little displeased, and they helped forward the affliction. Therefore, thus saith the LORD; I am returned to Jerusalem with mercies: my house shall be built in it, saith the LORD of hosts, and a line shall be stretched forth upon Jerusalem. Cry yet, saying, Thus saith the LORD of hosts; My cities through prosperity shall yet be spread abroad; and the LORD shall yet comfort Zion, and shall yet choose Jerusalem. When everything looks dim and drab, hang in there, God will soon send you good and comforting words to let you know that He has not forgotten you.  As He told Isaiah, “Go, and say to Hezekiah, Thus saith the LORD, the God of David thy father, I have heard thy prayer, I have seen thy tears: behold, I will add unto thy days fifteen years. And I will deliver thee and this city out of the hand of the king of Assyria: and I will defend this city.(Isaiah 38:5-6)  Cast not away your confidence.  He that will come, will come and not tarry.  The just must live by faith.

Sing: Sing them over again to me, wonderful words of life.  Let me more of there beauty see, wonderful words of life.  Words of life and beauty, teach me faith and duty.  Beautiful words, wonderful words, wonderful words of life.

Thought For Today: A word spoke in due season how good is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment