Monday, September 29, 2014

2014 September 29 - Morning Manna

And they journeyed from mount Hor by the way of the Red sea, to compass the land of Edom: and the soul of the people was much discouraged because of the way. (Numbers 21:4)

Today's Morsel: Every so often, I come across people who are really discouraged.  When I meet these people, I try to do everything I can to bring some encouragement to them.  I try to find the right words to say to pick them up and hopefully get them back on the right track. Discouragement can be brought upon us in many ways. Loss of a loved one.  An evil medical report.  Loss of employment.  Divorce.  A failed test.  Abuse.  All these things can bring discouragement.  But if we are rooted and grounded in Christ, we should be able to overcome them. "For his anger endureth but a moment; in his favour is life: weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning" (Psalms 30:5).
The Bible says that the children of Israel were much discouraged because of the way.  In other words, their journey was not pleasing to them.  The way that God was taking them to the Promise Land was not the way that they wanted to go. And so they became discouraged. There are ways in the church people can become discouraged.  If they are not being fed by the Word of God.  If every service is all about money.   If they are continually told that they can do better than what they are doing in praise and worship.  That if they miss a church service they are going to hell.  These things, if unchecked, can bring discouragement.  We must realize that we are not on the wrecking crew, but on the building crew.  We are called to build the kingdom, not destroy it.  We must always remember, Jesus came not to condemn us, but to save us.  Let me encourage you, the next time you start to feel discouraged, sing a song of praise to Jesus and you will begin to feel discouragement lift and go away.

Sing: Why should I feel discouraged, why should the shadows come, why should my heart be lonely, and long for heaven and home, when Jesus is my portion?  My constant Friend is He; His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.
Refrain: I sing because I’m happy, I sing because I’m free, His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

Thought for Today: Discouragement is for sinners to drive them to God; saints should already be there. (Parker)

No comments:

Post a Comment