Saturday, September 13, 2014

2014 September 13 - Morning Manna

By faith Joseph, when he died, made mention of the departing of the children of Israel; and gave commandment concerning his bones. (Hebrews 11:22)
 
Today's Morsel:   One of the duties I was often called upon to perform when I was in the military, was burial detail.  If a veteran or military member died, their family members could request a military burial detail.  This is one of the most sombering duties one can perform.  As I look at the life of Joseph, the Bible says that he gave the children of Israel a commandment concerning his bones.  In other words, Joseph had told them that God would deliver them and they were to not leave his bones in Egypt.  And so someone was responsibility to guard Joseph's tomb until God sent Moses to deliver them.  And then someone had to carry his bones for the entire time that they were in the wilderness until they came into the land of promise.  And scripture states, "And the bones of Joseph, which the children of Israel brought up out of Egypt, buried they in Shechem, in a parcel of ground which Jacob bought of the sons of Hamor the father of Shechem for an hundred pieces of silver: and it became the inheritance of the children of Joseph" (Joshua 24:32).  Joseph knew that God would someday deliver His people even if he was dead. And so he told them don't leave any portion of me here. What about you?  Joseph knew there was a promise land and he was going to enter it either dead or alive and so he said, don't forget my bones when you leave.
 
Sing: I'm going through, Yes, I'm going through; I'll pay the price no matter what others do. I'll take the way, with the Lord's despised few, I started out with Jesus and I'm going through.
 
Thought for Today: Never stop believing

No comments:

Post a Comment