Wednesday, November 20, 2013

2013 November 20 - Morning Manna

"As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God? My tears have been my meat day and night, while they continually say unto me, Where is thy God? When I remember these things, I pour out my soul in me: for I had gone with the multitude, I went with them to the house of God, with the voice of joy and praise, with a multitude that kept holyday... Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God" (Psalms 42:1-4;11)
Today's Morsel: There seems to be this thing called depression that all of a sudden has come out of nowhere and has become so prevalent. Where did this evil come from that is out to destroy the lives of so many? Where did this beast come from that is now causing over 321 million people worldwide to suffer? It's nothing new, rather it is something old. It's been around for a long time and something that the child of God must learn to overcome. Even the psalmist found himself questioning his own soul and trying to find out why he was in a low state? He said, "Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me?" Why is there all this nervousness, worry, concern, apprehension and fretfulness going on here, he said. It was as if he was asking himself, "Don't you trust in God?" He was concerned that something inside of him wasn't clicking on all cylinders. He said it's like and 8-cylinder car that keeps misfiring. It's running sluggish and has no energy or pep. And so he called for his soul to wake up. You see the psalmist knew that he could only prosper as his soul prospered and be in good health (3John 1:2). And so he began to talk to himself to encourage himself. The Lord told Joshua, "Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest" (Joshua 1:9). David found that he had to encourage himself in the Lord when he was distressed. The way you beat distress is self-motivation, self-discipline, and self-encouragement, and self-exaltation. For when you do these things, you will see that God is as close as the mention of His name.
Sing: Souls in danger, look above, Jesus completely saves; He will lift you by His love out of the angry waves. He's the Master of the sea, billow His will obey; He's your Saviour wants to be - be saved today.
Chorus: Love lifted me! Love lifted me! When nothing else could help, love lifted me. Love lifted me! Love lifted me! When nothing else could help, love lifted me.

No comments:

Post a Comment