Thursday, February 4, 2010

4 February 2010 - Morning Manna

Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain. And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible. I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air: But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway (1 Corinthians 9:24-27).


Today’s Morsel: If you know anything about the Olympics or follow the Olympics, it’s the chance of a lifetime for the athlete to win a crown. When those participates enter the field, they know that they have to give it their all if they in every way to stand a chance of being in the winner’s circle at the end. The same is true for the Christian. We have to give it our all. A false start, enhanced drug usage, illegal promotional contracts, and many other things can disqualify a participant in the Olympics. False doctrine, traditions, philosophies, and continual usage of the world’s ways can disqualify a Christian in this race. Using this analogy of a race Paul said, “Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain. And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.” Every believer is in this race, the race for eternal life. And we are running for the finish line. And we must cross to win. But the rules in this race are a little different than a natural race. The only person you are running against is yourself. This race will test your integrity as you run. It will test just how honest you are with yourself. It will also test your endurance, self-control, discipline, patience, and your faith. You only get one shot to cross the finish line. So my question to you today is this, will the crowd of witnesses which have gone on before us cheer as you cross the finish line or will they hang their head in shame? What will Jesus say to you? Will He say, "Well done, thy good and faith servant", or will He say "Who did hinder you that you should not have obeyed the truth."

Sing: Many once started to run in this race, but with our Redeemer they could not keep pace; others accepted because it was new, but not very many seem bound to go through.

But I’m going through, yes, I’m going through, I’ll pay the price, whatever others do; I’ll take the way, with the Lord’s despised few; I started out with Jesus, and I’m going through.

No comments:

Post a Comment