Friday, February 19, 2010

19 February 2010 - Morning Manna

For in the hand of the LORD there is a cup, and the wine is red; it is full of mixture; and he poureth out of the same: but the dregs thereof, all the wicked of the earth shall wring them out, and drink them (Psalms 75:8).

Today’s Morsel: Looking around our house, I seem to have quite a few cups that I have accumulated over the years of my travels. I have cups with military logos, cups with pictures of my kids and grand-kids, and cups from different countries. Cups service many purposes. Some cups are for drinking coffee, while others are for drinking tea. Jesus asked His disciples James and John if they were able to drink from the cup that He drank from (Matthew 20:22). Paul said that we cannot drink of the cup of the Lord and the cup of the devil (1 Corinthians 10:21). The psalmist said that in the hand of the Lord there is a cup and the wine is red; it is full of mixture; and He poureth out of the same. But can you drink from His cup. Sad to say, too many that are called Christians aren’t drinking from the cup of the Lord, but have chosen to drink from the cup of the devil. The apostle Paul said of this cup, “The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ” (1 Corinthians 10:16)? He further stated, “For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread: And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me. After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me. For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come. Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup. For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body. For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep. For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged” (1 Corinthians 11:23-31). Paul said that some had taken it unworthily. When you drink the cup of the Lord, it requires commitment and dedication to serve. If you aren’t going to serve and allow your life to be an example of Him, maybe you shouldn’t drink of this cup, as this cup of the Lord is designed so that you will stay in communion with Him. It is designed to make you like Him, so that blessings may be imparted upon you. Even if you have to suffer for drinking from this cup which is in His hand, the reward which is to be achieved will still outweigh the suffering. Let me encourage you, drink of His cup, but do it worthy.

Sing: Fill my cup Lord, I lift it up, Lord! Come and quench this thirsting of my soul; Bread of heaven, feed me till I want no more, here's my cup, fill it up and make me whole!

No comments:

Post a Comment