Saturday, October 7, 2023

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 2023 October 7

Maintenance Program for The Soul

 

“Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time:” (1 Peter 5:6)

 

Today’s Morsel: When I was in the army, every Wednesday was maintenance day. Preventive maintenance must be done on all our equipment, from weapons, tents, vehicles, protective masks, heaters, stoves, clothing, and barracks. Everything had to be checked for serviceability. I will say it repeatedly, the military taught me a lot about life and how to care for myself and others. And even today, I find myself using some of those same tools that I was taught. One of the lessons the military teaches is that of humility. You may think that you walk on water, and are better than anyone else, but the military has a way of humbling you. The military has a way of showing you that you are not all that and a bag of chips. If you don’t learn humility, and learn it quickly, the military has no problem with crushing your spirit so that you learn the lesson. God uses humility, I believe, as a maintenance program for the soul. It is designed to reveal to you your shortcomings and where pride is hiding out in your life.  Look how cocky both Paul and Peter were until God humbled them.  They both needed a maintenance checkup on their souls, and they both show you how humility can work. Peter would caution us to clothe ourselves with it. “Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble.” (1 Peter 5:5) And Paul would also admonish us to think of others more than ourselves. “Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering; Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye.” (Colossians 3:12-13) Has God had to do maintenance of your soul lately? Or did you take care of it yourself?  I prefer to do my self-maintenance check before Jesus needs to do it on me.  

 

Sing: Near the cross, a trembling soul, love and mercy found me; there the Bright and Morning Star shed His beams around me.

In the cross, in the cross, be my glory ever; till my ransomed soul shall find, rest beyond the river.

No comments:

Post a Comment