Saturday, October 21, 2023

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 2023 October 21

Still Serving

 

“And there was one Anna, a prophetess, the daughter of Phanuel, of the tribe of Aser: she was of a great age, and had lived with an husband seven years from her virginity; And she was a widow of about fourscore and four years, which departed not from the temple, but served God with fastings and prayers night and day.” (Luke 2:36-37)

 

Today’s Morsel: One of the fallacies I see in the church today is the lack of use of elders, both men and women, in teaching and sharing the gospel. Much talent is being wasted on the church pew. I remember my first School of Missions, as a brand-new missionary. Brother Stanley Chambers, a great elder, was there to speak to us for Morning Devotion. He was at least 90 years old.  He could barely walk and talk, but I will never forget the message that he delivered. His title was, “Little Foxes that Spoils the Vine.” (Song of Solomon 2:15). What got my attention was not only was he a great man of God, and his message impacted me so dearly, but also that he was still serving in his old age. Scripture said, “The righteous shall flourish like the palm tree: he shall grow like a cedar in Lebanon. Those that be planted in the house of the LORD shall flourish in the courts of our God. They shall still bring forth fruit in old age; they shall be fat and flourishing; To shew that the LORD is upright: he is my rock, and there is no unrighteousness in him.” (Psalms 92:12-15) The scripture said that Anna, a prophetess, was of great age. How old was she? Well, she was a widow for 84 years, she was married for 7 years, that would be 91, and if she was 20 when she married, she would be well over 111 years old (I am just guessing here). But no matter how old she was, scripture says she departed not from the temple, but served God with fastings and prayers night and day. Are you serving? Don’t ever think that you aren’t valuable to the Kingdom of God. If you have breath, you can serve.

 

Sing: Jesus use me, Oh Lord, don’t refuse me, for surely there’s a work that I can do.  And even though it’s humble, Lord, help my will to crumble. Though the cost be great, I’ll work for You.

No comments:

Post a Comment