Wednesday, October 18, 2023

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 2023 October 18

 Mail Call 

“And when this epistle is read among you, cause that it be read also in the church of the Laodiceans; and that ye likewise read the epistle from Laodicea.” (Colossians 4:16)

 

Today’s Morsel: One of the things that most soldiers looked for at the end of the day was mail call. They all wanted to hear from home. Sometimes in battle, when you are lonely and starting to feel discouraged, mail call and a letter from home of what everyone is doing, can give you the needed strength t0 keep you going. I am sure that there were times that the church wanted to see Paul again. But in those days, travel was oftentimes long and not coming. So a letter from their leader, Paul, was enough encouragement for them to keep going. He told them, And when this epistle is read among you, cause that it be read also in the church of the Laodiceans; and that ye likewise read the epistle from Laodicea.” (Colossians 4:16). You see, these churches weren’t that far apart. And once one church received its letter and read it, they were to share it with the other church, and visa-versa. This reminds me a lot of like my basic training days. I had a couple guys in my unit that were from my same hometown. And so, when I received a letter from home, I shared with them what was happening to keep them encouraged too. This is one of the reasons why, that when we read our Bible, we are to share these letters of the good news of the gospel from home (heaven) with others, so that they too can be encouraged and strengthened as well as we. Are you sharing your letters from home.

 

Sing: Tell me the story of Jesus, write on my heart every word.  Tell me the story most precious, sweetest that ever was heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment