Monday, July 20, 2020

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 20 July 2020


The Best Inheritance


Today’s Morsel:  My youngest granddaughter wanted to talk with me, and so her mother called me.  We have so many clocks in our home and each one makes a different sound, as we were talking they began to chime, and she wanted to see and hear each one.  As the one that I purchased in 1989 when we were departing German, during my military days began to chime, she said to me, “Papa, that's my clock!  I like my clock”  And I said to her, "Baby Girl, when I die, you get this clock. You asked first so it is yours."   Yet I have come to realize though, that the best inheritance a parent can give to their children is a few minutes of their time each day.  The time I had spent showing her the clocks was worth much more than the actual clock.  The memory of our time together will be more valuable to her than the dollar value of that clock. The psalmist informs us, “Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.(Psalms 127:3)  Children need to know that they are loved and appreciated.  Just allowing them to share what is on their heart and helping them to understand, can make a big difference in their lives.  Solomon’s mother seems to have spent plenty of time with him.  He wrote that the following prophecy was that which his mother taught him. “What, my son? and what, the son of my womb? and what, the son of my vows? Give not thy strength unto women, nor thy ways to that which destroyeth kings. It is not for kings, O Lemuel, it is not for kings to drink wine; nor for princes strong drink: Lest they drink, and forget the law, and pervert the judgment of any of the afflicted. Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts. Let him drink, and forget his poverty, and remember his misery no more. Open thy mouth for the dumb in the cause of all such as are appointed to destruction. Open thy mouth, judge righteously, and plead the cause of the poor and needy.”  What will your children say that you taught them?  My prayer is that you are building up precious time-treasures with them.  

Sing:  My mama and daddy talked about going home ever since I was a babe on their knees, they said that nothing compared to what was waiting up there, and someday I would finally be free.  But I’m getting a vision of a crystal river, where sins are forgotten without a trace, more than I want to know, my hearts ready to go, to see the love on my Savior's face.
 I want to know how it feels, to make my way down the streets of gold.  I want to know how it feels, to have a talk with the saints of old.  I want to know what it’s like, to plant my feet by the river of life.  I’ve heard of heaven and I know that it’s real, I want to know how it feels.

Thought For Today: The best inheritance a parent can give to their children is a few minutes of their time each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment