Thursday, July 16, 2020

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 16 July 2020


Followership Training

“Paul, and Silvanus, and Timotheus, unto the church of the Thessalonians which is in God the Father and in the Lord Jesus Christ: Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ. We give thanks to God always for you all, making mention of you in our prayers; Remembering without ceasing your work of faith, and labour of love, and patience of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ, in the sight of God and our Father; Knowing, brethren beloved, your election of God. For our gospel came not unto you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Ghost, and in much assurance; as ye know what manner of men we were among you for your sake. And ye became followers of us, and of the Lord, having received the word in much affliction, with joy of the Holy Ghost: So that ye were ensamples to all that believe in Macedonia and Achaia.” 
(1 Thessalonians 1:1-7)

Today’s Morsel: One of the things I am starting to realize in the church is we do not need any more leadership training.  What we need is followership training.  We need to teach people how to be followers of Christ.  Paul told the church at Corinth: “Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.” (1 Corinthians 11:1)  In other words, Paul is saying, I make Christ my example.  He is my model in all things; and if you follow Him, and follow me as far as I follow Him, you should not err nor stray.  Jesus is the only safe example; and if we follow Him, we will remain in the straight and narrow.  “I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life” Jesus said, (John 8:12).  You know there are all kinds of taters.  There are Whitetators, Sweetators, Mashtators, Agitators, and Spectators.  But Paul wants us to be Imitators.  Not only of him but most importantly of Christ.  And to do that, the church must become trainers of followership.  “And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.” (Matthew 10:38)  Let's get some training sessions going!

Sing:  Where He leads me, I will follow.  Where He leads me, I will follow.  Where he leads me, I will follow, I’ll go with Him, with Him, all the way.

Thought For Today:  Leadership or Followership, which is more important to you? (Parker)

No comments:

Post a Comment