Monday, May 9, 2011

2011 May 9 - Morning Manna

But, beloved, we are persuaded better things of you, and things that accompany salvation, though we thus speak. (Hebrews 6:9)

Today's Morsel:  Have you ever heard someone say, "I'm going to try to be a better Christian."  Well I'm sorry, you can't be a better Christian.  Either you are a Christian or you aren't.  There isn't any in between.  It's like being pregnant, either you are or you aren't.  I think that's one of the problems with Christianity. People hear so often that no one is perfect and so they stick to the idea of trying rather than being.   Nike penned it best when they said, "Just do it!"  James said, "Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin" (James 4:17).  The writer of Hebrews said, "But, beloved, we are persuaded better things of you, and things that accompany salvation, though we thus speak."  So what was in your salvation package?  Trying didn't come with your salvation, but doing did. The story is told of a little lad who's mother told him to get his shoes on so they could get going for church.  But the lad was taking his time and wasn't getting his shoes on.  And so after a period of time, his mother gave him a pretty good one on the backside.  The lad looked up at his mother and said, "Mom, I was trying to get my shoes on."  To his surprise, with a very stern look she said, "I didn't tell you to try to get them on, I told you to get them on."  Jesus didn't say that we should try to be born again and you get into heaven. He said, you must be born again. The Word doesn't tell us to 'try' to be holy, it says to be holy.  So when we do what a Christian is suppose to do, we don't have to keep trying.

Sing:  I'll say yes, Lord, yes, to Your will and to Your way. I'll say yes, Lord, yes, I will trust you and obey, when Your Spirit speaks to me, with my whole heart I'll agree, and my answer will be yes, Lord, yes!

No comments:

Post a Comment