Wednesday, March 9, 2011

2011 March 9 - Morning Manna

Then said the LORD unto Moses, Behold, I will rain bread from heaven for you; and the people shall go out and gather a certain rate every day, that I may prove them, whether they will walk in my law, or no. (Exodus 16:4)
 
Today's Morsel:  On Sunday, the new young pastor arrived at church and found that only an old farmer had shown up.  After waiting a while, the disappointed pastor remarked to the old farmer, “Well, it appears no one else is coming, so we should probably cancel service today.”  The farmer, dressed in his Sunday best, looked at the young preacher and said, “Well Pastor, I don’t know much ’bout preachin’, but I do know something bout farmin’ and if I went out in the field and found only one cow, I’d still feed ‘em.” The excited the young preacher preached for the next 45 minutes a fierce fire and brimstone sermon.  Afterwords the pastor asked the old farmer what he thought.  The old farmer remarked, “Well pastor, I don’t know much bout preachin’, but I do know somethin’ ’bout farmin’ and if I went out in the field and found only one cow, I wouldn’t give ‘em the whole bale at one time.
 
I've noticed that a lot of parents fills their children's plates during meal time to running over, and then they yell and scream at the child because they don't eat it all.  The child starts saying that they are full or that they don't like certain items on their plate.  And so the scene begins.  As a Grandpa, I can't help but think it would be easier if they put just a little bit on the plate and let the child eat that and then allow them to ask, "Mom and Dad, may I please have some more!"  Some parent think that their child's stomach is a big as theirs.  This would prevent ruining the meal and make the parent feel good about what has been prepared.
 
The Lord told Moses that the children were to gather a certain rate of manna every day to prove them.  God knows that if He gave them too much, they would just waste it.  Jesus said that your heavenly Father knows the things we have need of before we ask Him.  Remember, the last supper was only a small portion, but little is much when God is in it.  As the farmer said, If only one cow showed up, I wouldn't give him the whole bale.

Sing:  Jesus has a table spread, where the saints of God are fed, He invites His chosen people, "Come and dine!"  With His manna He doth feed us and supply our every need, tis so sweet to sup with Jesus all the time.
 
Come and dine the Master calleth, come and dine!  You may feast at Jesus table all the time. He who fed the multitude, turned the water into wine, to the hungry calleth now, come and dine!

No comments:

Post a Comment