Wednesday, October 11, 2023

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 2023 October 11

My House Shall Be Called A House of Prayer

  

Thus saith the LORD, Keep ye judgment, and do justice: for my salvation is near to come, and my righteousness to be revealed. Blessed is the man that doeth this, and the son of man that layeth hold on it; that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and keepeth his hand from doing any evil. Neither let the son of the stranger, that hath joined himself to the LORD, speak, saying, The LORD hath utterly separated me from his people: neither let the eunuch say, Behold, I am a dry tree. For thus saith the LORD unto the eunuchs that keep my sabbaths, and choose the things that please me, and take hold of my covenant; Even unto them will I give in mine house and within my walls a place and a name better than of sons and of daughters: I will give them an everlasting name, that shall not be cut off. Also the sons of the stranger, that join themselves to the LORD, to serve him, and to love the name of the LORD, to be his servants, every one that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and taketh hold of my covenant; Even them will I bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer: their burnt offerings and their sacrifices shall be accepted upon mine altar; for mine house shall be called an house of prayer for all people.” 

(Isaiah 56:1-7)

 

Today’s Morsel: After Jesus preformed His first miracle in Cana of Galilee, Scripture says,  “And Jesus went into the temple of God, and cast out all them that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the moneychangers, and the seats of them that sold doves, And said unto them, It is written, My house shall be called the house of prayer; but ye have made it a den of thieves.” (Matthew 21:12-13). Jesus doesn’t have a problem cleaning His house. You see, not only did Isaiah prophesy that God’s house would be called a house of prayer for all people, but also when Solomon dedicated the temple scripture says, “And the LORD appeared to Solomon by night, and said unto him, I have heard thy prayer, and have chosen this place to myself for an house of sacrifice. If I shut up heaven that there be no rain, or if I command the locusts to devour the land, or if I send pestilence among my people; If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. Now mine eyes shall be open, and mine ears attent unto the prayer that is made in this place.” (2 Chronicles 7:12-15) God said that He would be attentive to the prayers made in His house, but also that He had placed His name there. It was to be a house of prayer, not a house for selling things. It was to be a house where people sought Him and prayed to Him. Are we getting away from the purpose of the church? Are coffee shops and latte machines replacing prayer? Are fund raisers and bake sales replacing prayer? Are we allowing other things to now replace prayer? The only thing that I read that God will be attentive to coming from His house are the prayers of saints.

 

Sing: Turn your eyes upon Jesus, look full in His wonderful face, and the things of earth will go strangely dim, in the light of His glory and grace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment