Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 2016 August 2

Bless the LORD, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name. Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits: Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases; Who redeemeth thy life from destruction; who crowneth thee with lovingkindness and tender mercies; Who satisfieth thy mouth with good things; so that thy youth is renewed like the eagle's.
(Psalms 103:1-5).

Today’s Morsel:  Do you ever talk to yourself?  Maybe you don't, but I do.  I find myself talking to God all the time.  I’m not talking about praying.  I’m talking about a conversation.  Even David talked to himself.  David in this Psalms he is communing with his own heart, and he is no fool that just talks to himself and excites his own soul to feel good.  Observe how he stirs himself up to the duty of praises, “Bless the LORD, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name. Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits.” It is the Lord that is to be blessed and spoken well of; for he is the fountain of all good, whatever are the channels or cisterns; it is to His name, His holy name, that we are to consecrate our praise, giving thanks at the remembrance of his holiness (Emphasis mine).  It is the soul that is to be employed in blessing God, and all that is within us.  We make nothing of our religious performances if we do not make them from all that is within us.  The duty of praise requires the inward man, the whole man, and all that is within us.  In order for us to return praises to God, there must be a grateful remembrance of the mercies we have received from Him.  David said, “Forget not all his benefits”.  If we do not give thanks for the benefits of God, we will forget them; and that is unjust as well as unkind, since all God's favors are so memorable.  Have you forgotten His benefits?  As Moses admonished the children of Israel, let me admonish you, “Don’t forget God.”

Sing: Bless the Lord on my soul, and all that is within me bless His Holy Name.

Thought For Today:  Don’t forget the benefits of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment