Friday, June 23, 2017

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 2017 June 23

"A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favour rather than silver and gold” (Proverbs 22:1).

Today’s Morsel:  One of the things I have decided to do this year in my devotion time, is look up in the Hebrew and Greek what the names of people in the Bible mean.  Many of them were given names that we may not be able to pronounce, but they have godly meanings.  I asked the church one night during Bible study how many of them knew what their name meant?  Many of them did.  Why did our parents give us the name that they did?  I’m still trying to figure out why my mother named me Rufus, which means redhead!  There is not a red drop anywhere on my head; lots of gray but no red!  Maybe she knew I would be chosen of the Lord (Romans 16:13).   Solomon said that a good name is rather to be chosen than great riches.  To be well spoken of is way better than riches.  We should be more careful to do that which is right and those things that will give us a good name than those things that will simply increase our estate.  Great riches often bring great cares with them, expose us to danger, and add no real value to a person's character.  A fool and a dishonest person may have great riches, but a good name makes a person safe, shows one as wise and honest, contributes to the glory of God, and gives them a greater opportunity of doing good to all men. As Abraham Lincoln said, “Character is like a tree and reputation is like its shadow. The shadow is what you think of it, but the tree is the real thing.”

Sing:  No greater name than the name of Jesus, no greater name have I ever known, no greater name than the name of Jesus; You are the light to my heart and my soul, you are the light to the darkness around me, You are the only truth and the way!

Thought For Today:  Protect your name! (Parker)

No comments:

Post a Comment