Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 2016 August 30

Then Job answered and said, I have heard many such things: miserable comforters are ye all. Shall vain words have an end? or what emboldeneth thee that thou answerest? I also could speak as ye do: if your soul were in my soul's stead, I could heap up words against you, and shake mine head at you. But I would strengthen you with my mouth, and the moving of my lips should asswage your grief. 
(Job 16:1-5)

Today’s Morsel:  Do you ever get tired of negative news?  Why does it seem that when you see some people you know that they aren’t going to have anything good to say about anyone or anything?  If it’s nice and sunny they say, “But it won’t last long.”  Instead of trying to encourage and comfort him, Job’s friends kept trying to accuse him of sin.  Finally, Job was tired of their accusations and so he said to them, “You are all miserable comforters.” (my wording).  They had come professedly to console with him.  Now all that they said was adapted only to irritate and to deepen his distress.  He was disappointed; and he was deeply wounded and grieved by them.  He told them that if they were in his place, if their souls were in his soul's stead, he could heap up words against them, and shake his head at them. But he said that he wouldn’t do that.   He said he would strengthen them with his mouth, and with the moving of his lips he would lessen their grief.   He said he would be a comforter to them.  Let me encourage you, when others are suffering don’t add to their grief.  Be a comforter.   If you have any words of exaltation then say on.

Sing: Precious Lord, take my hand, lead me on, let me stand; I am tired, I am weak, I am worn.  Through the storm, through the night, lead me on, to the light; Take my hand, Precious Lord, and lead me on.

Thought For Today:  Life and death are in the power of the tongue (Solomon)

No comments:

Post a Comment