Saturday, May 5, 2012

2012 May 5 - Morning Manna

And the people took their dough before it was leavened, their kneadingtroughs being bound up in their clothes upon their shoulders. (Exodus 12:34)

Today's Morsel: One of the things the children of Israel brought out of Egypt with them was their kneading troughs. The kneading trough was where they made their bread. It was here in the kneading trough that they added the yeast, or no yeast depending on the time of year, so the bread could rise. Often they were to eat unleavened bread, so no yeast would be added. When we flip the pages forward, we can see that this was a type and shadow of Christ. The Bible says, "And it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree from Caesar Augustus, that all the world should be taxed. (And this taxing was first made when Cyrenius was governor of Syria.) And all went to be taxed, every one into his own city. And Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, into Judaea, unto the city of David, which is called Bethlehem; (because he was of the house and lineage of David:) To be taxed with Mary his espoused wife, being great with child. And so it was, that, while they were there, the days were accomplished that she should be delivered. And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn." (Luke 2:1-7). The Encarta Dictionary defines manger as a trough from which livestock eat. The kneading trough was for making bread and allowing it to rise. Jesus said, "I am that bread of life. Your fathers did eat manna in the wilderness, and are dead. This is the bread which cometh down from heaven, that a man may eat thereof, and not die. I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world" (John 6:48-51). It was here in this trough in the stable that Jesus began to rise. Mary cooked up a pretty good loaf of bread. What do you think?
Sing: Here's my cup Lord, I lift it up Lord, come and quench this thirsting of my soul; bread of heaven feed me till I want no more, here's my cup fill it up and make me whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment