Friday, November 27, 2020

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 27 November 2020

 The House by the Side of The Road

“And it fell on a day, that Elisha passed to Shunem, where was a great woman; and she constrained him to eat bread. And so it was, that as oft as he passed by, he turned in thither to eat bread. And she said unto her husband, Behold now, I perceive that this is an holy man of God, which passeth by us continually. Let us make a little chamber, I pray thee, on the wall; and let us set for him there a bed, and a table, and a stool, and a candlestick: and it shall be, when he cometh to us, that he shall turn in thither.” (2 Kings 4:8-10)


Today’s Morsel:  One of my favorite poems is “The House By The Side of the Road” by Sam Walter Foss.  I love this poem.  I was required to memorize it in sixth grade, and I even quoted it at my military retirement ceremony.  It always excites me and encourages me.  Scripture says that as often as Elisha passed by this woman’s house, he turned in and she fed them.  And because it happened so often, she perceived that he was a man of God.  So she had her husband build him a room on the side of their house so that he could study if need be and rest.  Scripture tells us that if we will have friends that we must show ourselves friendly.  This woman's perception of Elisha was true and because she blessed him, God blessed her and her family.

Sing:  I know the Lord will make a way for you.  I know the Lord will make a way for you.  If you live a holy life, shun the wrong and do the right, I know the Lord will make a way for you.   

Thought For Today: Always be a friend to man.

No comments:

Post a Comment