Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 2017 December 6

“O LORD, rebuke me not in thine anger, neither chasten me in thy hot displeasure. Have mercy upon me, O LORD; for I am weak: O LORD, heal me; for my bones are vexed. My soul is also sore vexed: but thou, O LORD, how long? Return, O LORD, deliver my soul: oh save me for thy mercies' sake. For in death there is no remembrance of thee: in the grave who shall give thee thanks?” 
(Psalms 6:1-5).

Today’s Morsel:  One of the things I never wanted to happen to me when I was a kid was for my parents to punish me if they were angry and displeased with me for doing something that I knew I should not have done.  I always wanted them to cool down first, as the punishment was often times less severe.  The Psalmist also prayed that God would have mercy on him and not chasten him when he was angry and displeased.  The writer of Hebrews tells us in Hebrews 12:5-11, “And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him: For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth. If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not? But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons. Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live? For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but he for our profit, that we might be partakers of his holiness. Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby.”  Our Heavenly Father is going to chasten us when we do wrong because He knows it is for our good.  Yet we can pray that when He does, He does it when He’s not displeased or angry with us as He did with the children of Israel in the wilderness; as this would not be enjoyable for any of us.  The best thing to always remember is that self-discipline is the best correction.  If we apply discipline ourselves, the Lord will not need to correct us.  Be obedient to His word.  

Sing:  You're a good, good Father, it’s who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are.  And I'm loved by You, it's who I am, it's who I am, it's who I am.

Because You are perfect in all of Your ways, You are perfect in all of Your ways, You are perfect in all of Your ways to us
You're a good, good Father, it’s who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are.  And I'm loved by You, it's who I am, it's who I am, it's who I am.

Thought For Today: Self-discipline is the best correction. 

No comments:

Post a Comment