Monday, August 28, 2017

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 2017 August 28

"And he spake a parable unto them, saying, The ground of a certain rich man brought forth plentifully: And he thought within himself, saying, What shall I do, because I have no room where to bestow my fruits? And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and build greater; and there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods. And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry. But God said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided?" (Luke 12:16-20)

Today’s Morsel: One of the things about being anchored to the world is it can deceive you.  The thing that I dislike about worldly status and wealth is it doesn’t last.  No matter what position or how much you have, it isn’t going to last or make you content.  I have seen many people depressed over a loss of wealth and position, and some of them are still depressed many years later.  In relating this parable of a rich man that we read today, a man whose land was plenty, Jesus is calling our attention to take notice what happened.  The man felt that he had enough to last him for the remainder of his life and so he felt to retire. However, he didn’t consider that his life would end so suddenly.  The parable also reveals to us what can happen when we put our stock in what we have and not in Christ. We must not allow our accumulation of status and wealth to trump our desire for the things of God and our eternal salvation.  We must always remember that we brought nothing into this world, and we for certain will carry nothing out when we leave.  So my morsel this morning is simply this, don’t be anchored to this world; but be anchored to Christ.  Be anchored to Christ Jesus so when He calls your number you’ll be ready to go.     

Sing: I’m going to a city, there’ll be no more night.  I’m going to city, where Jesus is the light.  The trumpet's  gonna sound and I’ll be called away; I’m going to a city someday.

Thought For Today: Don’t be anchored to the world (Parker)

No comments:

Post a Comment