Thursday, August 10, 2017

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 2017 August 10

"And God said unto Jacob, Arise, go up to Bethel, and dwell there: and make there an altar unto God, that appeared unto thee when thou fleddest from the face of Esau thy brother. Then Jacob said unto his household, and to all that were with him, Put away the strange gods that are among you, and be clean, and change your garments: And let us arise, and go up to Bethel; and I will make there an altar unto God, who answered me in the day of my distress, and was with me in the way which I went. And they gave unto Jacob all the strange gods which were in their hand, and all their earrings which were in their ears; and Jacob hid them under the oak which was by Shechem.” 
(Genesis 35:1-4)
  
Today’s Morsel:  If people didn’t know you by name or know that you were a member of their church, would they know that you are a Christian.  The world does not associate short pants, mini skits, women wearing pants, men wearing dresses, or minister’s preaching in jeans with their shirt tail out, make-up and excessive jewelry with Christianity.  If you don’t believe it, how do you think a person who has never been to church before in their life knows how and what you are supposed to act and look like as a Christian?  When Jacob returned to the land that God had promised him, he told his family, “Put away the strange gods that are among you, and be clean, and change your garments: And let us arise, and go up to Bethel; and I will make there an altar unto God, who answered me in the day of my distress, and was with me in the way which I went.”  No, clothing does not make you a Christian, but when we read scripture, we can see that there was a requirement by God for His people.  As Paul told the church at Rome, “And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God” (Romans 12:2).  Not only should our light shine in our fruit and gifts, but it should also shine in our dress and appearance.

Sing: This little light on mine, I’m gonna let it shine. This little shine of mine, I’m gonna let it shine.  This little light of mine, I’m gonna, let it shine, let it shine, let it shine, let it shine.

Thought For Today:  Be not conformed to the world. Renew your mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment