Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 2017 August 2

“Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin; That he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God. For the time past of our life may suffice us to have wrought the will of the Gentiles, when we walked in lasciviousness, lusts, excess of wine, revellings, banquetings, and abominable idolatries: Wherein they think it strange that ye run not with them to the same excess of riot, speaking evil of you: Who shall give account to him that is ready to judge the quick and the dead” (1 Peter 4:1-5)

Today’s Morsel: Accountability is the fact or condition of being accountable; responsible and being liable.  Sad to say, most people will not accept accountability for their actions or wrong doing.  It’s always someone else's fault.  It’s the alcoholic's father’s fault because his father was an alcoholic. It’s not the abuser's fault because his parents were abusers. It’s the teacher's fault because the child didn’t pass.  It’s the coach's fault that my child didn’t make the team.  It’s the pastor's fault that I left the church.  No one wants to be accountable.  Peter said, “Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, we need to arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin; That he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God."  We can’t keep blaming others for our actions and wrong.  Somewhere along the line we must become accountable for our own life.  “One of the annoying things about believing in free choice and individual responsibility is the difficulty of finding someone to blame your problems on. And when you do find somebody, it’s remarkable how often his picture turns up on your driver’s license.” -P. J. O’Rourke-  Only when we accept responsibility for our own actions will we be able to come to true repentance and accept Jesus' forgiveness for them.  

Sing:  Amazing grace shall always be my song of praise; for it was grace that brought my liberty.  I do not know just why He came to love me so, He looked beyond my faults and saw my need.  I shall forever lift my eyes to Calvary, to view the cross where Jesus died for me.  How marvelous the grace that caught my falling soul, He looked beyond my faults and saw my need.

Thought For Today: Accountability means you are accountable.  

No comments:

Post a Comment