Thursday, April 1, 2010

2010 April 1 - Morning Manna

Then Job answered and said, I have heard many such things: miserable comforters are ye all. Shall vain words have an end? or what emboldeneth thee that thou answerest? I also could speak as ye do: if your soul were in my soul's stead, I could heap up words against you, and shake mine head at you. But I would strengthen you with my mouth, and the moving of my lips should asswage your grief (Job 16:1-5).


Today’s Morsel: Can you image being Job and your friends are ridiculing you as to why you are in pain and suffering? Their action is if they are trying to make or cause Job to confess to something that he did not do. It’s as if Job is on trial and the prosecutor is trying to get him to confess to something even though he did not do it. Job said to them, "I have heard many such things: miserable comforters are ye all." Instead of them being comforter to Job, Job said they were miserable comforters. They became more of a hindrance to help then a help. As Paul said, like a thorn in the flesh. Job said to his friend, "I also could speak as ye do: if your soul were in my soul's stead, I could heap up words against you, and shake mine head at you. But I would strengthen you with my mouth, and the moving of my lips should asswage your grief." In other words, Job was saying, If I were in your place and you were in mine, I would say things that would help ease or alleviate your suffering, not words that add more suffering and pain. We can learn a lot here. Our words are to be as apples of gold in pictures of silver. Our words must be spoken for edification and not destruction. Job's friends seemed more intent on tearing him down than building him up. How do you speak to someone when they are suffering or may have done something wrong? Do you ridicule them with harsh words, or do you look for words to comfort so that you get your point across and they are edified and willing to make a change? Remember, you always win more flies with honey than you do vinegar.

Sing: Let the words of my mouth and the mediation of my heart; be acceptable in thy sight, Oh Lord. May the words that I say, be encouraging today, to show someone else the way; and be pleasing unto Thee, Oh Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment