Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 18 March 2020


The Interpreter

Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.(Matthew 1:23)

Today’s Morsel:  When I was a missionary and would traveled to minister in another country, it was always required to have an interpreter because most people did not understand English and I didn’t understand their language either.   And so we need interpreters.  It’s not uncommon in the church for someone to ask me to explain a passage of scripture or what it means.  In other words, they are saying interpret or explain what you mean.  The same holds true when I am preaching, and I get that deer in the headlight look from congregants.  When I see that expression on their faces, I know that they have no clue what I’m talking about and so I must stop, slow down, and explain to them what I mean.  When we say that Jesus was God manifested in the flesh, many will ask for an interpretation of how that could be and so we must slow down and give the interpretation. We see this with Nicodemus in John chapter 3, after Jesus told him he must be born again.  He asked how can these things be? In other words, explain it to me.  Matthew states that the child that Mary would conceive would be called Emmanuel, which being interpreted is God with us.  In other words, God took on flesh and became a human just like us, yet without sin.  As Paul wrote, “And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.(1 Timothy 3:16) And as Jesus explained to Philip when he asked Him to show him the Father stated, “Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father? Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works. Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake.(John 14:9-11)  Do you need an interpreter for your lack of understanding?  Jesus said that the spirit would lead and guide you into all truth.

Sing: Emmanuel, Emmanuel, His name shall be called, Emmanuel.  God with us, revealed in us, His name is called, Emmanuel.

Thought For Today: “For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.” (Colossians 2:9)

No comments:

Post a Comment