Friday, June 1, 2018

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 2018 June 1

“And Jesus entered and passed through Jericho. And, behold, there was a man named Zacchaeus, which was the chief among the publicans, and he was rich. And he sought to see Jesus who he was; and could not for the press, because he was little of stature. And he ran before, and climbed up into a sycomore tree to see him: for he was to pass that way. And when Jesus came to the place, he looked up, and saw him, and said unto him, Zacchaeus, make haste, and come down; for to day I must abide at thy house. And he made haste, and came down, and received him joyfully. And when they saw it, they all murmured, saying, That he was gone to be guest with a man that is a sinner. And Zacchaeus stood, and said unto the Lord; Behold, Lord, the half of my goods I give to the poor; and if I have taken any thing from any man by false accusation, I restore him fourfold. And Jesus said unto him, This day is salvation come to this house, forsomuch as he also is a son of Abraham. For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost” (Luke 19:1-10).

Today’s Morsel:  There is nothing like reading a good book that flows.  The author seems to capture your attention at the on-set and causes you to see yourself in the story.  I like how the writers of the gospels seem to cause things to flow.  In today's writings, Luke tells the story of Zacchaeus who desired to see Jesus.  He tells us about him and who he was.  Chief among the publicans.  Zacchaeus was probably one who had subordinate tax collectors under him or else he was one of the most respectable and honorable men among those at Jericho because he was rich.  And therefore he would be more unlikely to pay attention to Jesus’ teaching and preaching about selling all, giving to the poor, following Jesus, and self-denial.  He tells us about his stature. About Zaccheaus being short.  Yet Zacchaeus wanted to see Jesus.  And so Luke tells us that Zacchaeus ran before the crowd and climbed up into a sycamore tree to see him because Jesus he was to pass that way.  And when Jesus came to that place he said unto him, "Zacchaeus, make haste, and come down; for today I must abide at thy house."  And Zacchaeus made haste, and came down, and received Jesus joyfully.  Notice, Jesus knew who he was by name.  Isn’t it amazing that Jesus knows who we are?  And when Jesus came in to his house, Zacchaeus said to the Lord, "Behold, Lord, the half of my goods I give to the poor; and if I have taken anything from any man by false accusation, I restore him fourfold."   And Jesus said to him, "This day is salvation come to this house, forsomuch as he also is a son of Abraham. For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost."  Luke makes no mention of Jesus saying anything to Zacchaeus.  Just that he was in the house.  But he tells us that Zacchaeus repented.  Are you looking for Jesus today?  You don’t have to climb into a tree.  You can find him when you seek for Him with your whole heart.  He will come to you.  

Sing: 1. One night while on life's raging sea it looked as if I would suffer defeat.  As the blackness of night closed off the light my heart sank with fear.  My desperate cry rang out with fright; all I could see was no hope in sight.  With faith all but gone I met the one who came looking for me.
Chorus: He came looking for me, He came looking for me. He made a way when there was no way that I could see. When I drifted so far Jesus was near to rescue my soul and calm all my fears.  Now I'm safe from all harm since I met the one who came looking for me.

2. Satan had already picked out my grave, his plan was to foil and put me away.  I'd drifted so far, would anyone care that I'd soon be lost.  I knew my destruction was a matter of time but Jesus appeared and said this one is mine. Now I'm safe with no harm for he walked through the storm When he was looking for me.
Chorus: He came looking for me, He came looking for me. He made a way when there was no way that I could see. When I drifted so far Jesus was near to rescue my soul and calm all my fears.  Now I'm safe from all harm since I met the one who came looking for me. 

Thought For Today: “You have to come down for him to come in”( Parker).



No comments:

Post a Comment