Thursday, August 3, 2017

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 2017 August 3

“If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, ye do well: But if ye have respect to persons, ye commit sin, and are convinced of the law as transgressors.” (James 2:8-9)

Today’s Morsel:  Respect is a feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements.   Aretha Franklin sang a song title, “Respect.” R-E-S-P-E-C-T tell me what it means to me.  It had been previous sung by Otis Redding, but had not obtained such fame as it did with Aretha Franklin, because of the feminist movement of the 60’s.  Respect - everyone wants it and everyone needs it.  There are basically two types of respect.  First, is the basic human respect.  The kind we’re entitled to merely by being born. This type of respect is based on other people’s needs, hopes, rights, dreams, ideas, and inherent worth.  This is just as important and valuable as our own.  And it’s demonstrated by us treating others with dignity and courtesy.  As Jackie Robinson said, “I’m not concerned with your liking or disliking me… All I ask is that you respect me as a human being.”  The second type, is that we “Earn” by our own actions.  It’s based on who we are and it comes from our behavior.  How we live, act, and how we conduct ourselves will determine if we earn it from others.  If we want to be respected and earn others respect, then we must eliminate derogatory words and phrases from our vocabulary, treat everyone with dignity and courtesy, and we must consider others’ feelings before speaking or acting.  The Bible says that in order to have a friend we must show ourselves friendly.  I would also say that in order to be respected, we must show respect and live a life that reflects respect to others.   

Sing: Oh how I love Jesus, Oh how I love Jesus, Oh how I love Jesus, because He first loved me.

Thought For Today:  “I’m not concerned with your liking or disliking me… All I ask is that you respect me as a human being.”  Jackie Robinson

1 comment:

  1. Amen...to him who is , He shows Himself ...why not use 'respectful'?

    ReplyDelete