Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 2017 August 23

"And he rose up that night, and took his two wives, and his two womenservants, and his eleven sons, and passed over the ford Jabbok. And he took them, and sent them over the brook, and sent over that he had. And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day. And when he saw that he prevailed not against him, he touched the hollow of his thigh; and the hollow of Jacob's thigh was out of joint, as he wrestled with him. And he said, Let me go, for the day breaketh. And he said, I will not let thee go, except thou bless me. And he said unto him, What is thy name? And he said, Jacob. And he said, Thy name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel: for as a prince hast thou power with God and with men, and hast prevailed. And Jacob asked him, and said, Tell me, I pray thee, thy name. And he said, Wherefore is it that thou dost ask after my name? And he blessed him there. And Jacob called the name of the place Peniel: for I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved. And as he passed over Penuel the sun rose upon him, and he halted upon his thigh. Therefore the children of Israel eat not of the sinew which shrank, which is upon the hollow of the thigh, unto this day: because he touched the hollow of Jacob's thigh in the sinew that shrank."  (Genesis 32:22-32)

Today’s Morsel:  At the end of the Korean war, and the signing of the amnesty, many soldiers could cross what was called, “The Bridge of No Return.”  However, if they chose not to cross, they would be required to remain on the side they were and would always be an enemy to each other.  I’m sure some of you, like Jacob, have had to make a major decision in your life. This is not an easy decision for Jacob. Jacob had left home twenty years earlier to save his life, because he stole his brother’s birthright.  God had blessed Jacob as He had promised, and was now bringing him back to the place He had told him He would.  He now has eleven kids, material wealth, livestock, and servants.  But deep down within, Jacob is still plagued with the question that he had when he left home twenty years earlier; will my brother still be angry and kill me?   So many, like Jacob, are afraid to face the uncertainty.  Jacob needed confirmation from God about his life.  He knew that he had now crossed the point of no return and needed God’s assurance for his life.  And it was here at the Brook Jabbok that not only did he get his answer, but he also received a name change and a new identity.  What major decision are you facing now? How long are will you stay at Jabbok for your answer?  God is always the best counselor in decision making.  Just be sure and wait on Him for the answer.  

Sing: Hear my cry O’ God, attend unto my pray.  From the ends of the earth will I cry unto Thee, when my heart is overwhelmed, lead me to the Rock that is higher than I, so much higher than I.

Thought For Today:  God is always the best counselor in decision making. (Parker) 

No comments:

Post a Comment