Thursday, March 2, 2017

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 2017 March 2

“And Samuel said, What hast thou done? And Saul said, Because I saw that the people were scattered from me, and that thou camest not within the days appointed, and that the Philistines gathered themselves together at Michmash; Therefore said I, The Philistines will come down now upon me to Gilgal, and I have not made supplication unto the LORD: I forced myself therefore, and offered a burnt offering” (1 Samuel 13:11-12).

Today’s Morsel: When Saul did not wait for Samuel to come to do the sacrifice, because of fear, he violated the law of God.  When Samuel asked him what he had done, Saul said, “The Philistines will come down now upon me to Gilgal, and I have not made supplication unto the LORD: I forced myself therefore, and offered a burnt offering.”  Notice, he “forced himself” to do it.  He knew what the word of God said, but he chose to go against it for fear.  So many people do the same thing.  They know what the word says, but they force themselves not to do it.  Anytime you go against what you know is right, you are forcing yourself against God’s word.  Anytime you violate the posted speed limit, you are forcing yourself.  Anytime you purpose to be late for church, you are forcing yourself.  Anytime you schedule to do something else when you know that your pastor has scheduled a special service, you are forcing yourself. Anytime you don’t do the things that you have been asked to do because you just don’t want to, you are forcing yourself.  And the biggest danger is, you have to give an account to God for every idle deed, not to mention the consequence that may come for your disobedience.  Don’t force yourself to do wrong, but force yourself to do what is right all the time.  With such sacrifices God is well pleased.

Sing: I’ll say yes, Lord yes, to your will and to your way; I’ll say yes, Lord, yes, I will trust You and obey.  When Your Spirit speaks to me, with my whole heart I’ll agree, and my answer will be yes, Lord, yes.

Thought For Today:  Don’t force yourself to do wrong, but force yourself to do what is right all the time (Parker).

1 comment:

  1. "And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force."

    If I'm going to do anything forceful as a Christian, it better be for His kingdom, purpose, and mission!

    ReplyDelete