Saturday, May 20, 2017

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 2017 May 20

And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others: Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican. I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess. And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner. I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted” (Luke 18:9-14).

Today’s Morsel: I think at some point in life there comes a time that we like to self-exalt ourselves.  We may not think so, but we do.  For example, the kid in school who gets an “A” is quicker to say that he received an “A” than the child who received a “C”.  I remember when we called the trash collectors, “the garbage man.”  Now days if you were to ask him what he does, he would tell you that he’s “a sanitation engineer”.  A preacher was called a pastor, evangelist or teacher.  Now if you ask some of them, they would say, “I’m a Bishop”.  Nothing wrong with the titles, but if we are not careful, titles, status and positions can make us prideful.  Solomon states, “Most men will proclaim every one his own goodness: but a faithful man who can find?” (Proverbs 20:6).  In other words, where is the man that answers to the character he gives of himself, or who is as good as his word?  The Pharisee exalted himself, but the sinner humbled himself.  We must honestly ask ourselves, "Which one am I?".  

Sing: Jesus hold my hand, Lord I need Thee every hour.  Through this pilgrim land, protect me by Thy saving power.  Hear my feeble plea, O’ Lord, look down on me.  When I kneel in prayer, I hope to meet you there, blessed Jesus hold my hand.

Thought For Today:  Pride lowers, humbleness exalts (Parker)

1 comment:

  1. Lord, I humble myself under Your mighty hand that You may exalt me in due time.

    ReplyDelete