Saturday, June 18, 2016

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 2016 June 18

Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right. Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promise;) That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth. (Ephesians 6:1-3)
  
Today’s Morsel:  On July 19, 1910, the governor of the U.S. state of Washington proclaimed the Nation’s first “Father’s Day.”  However, it was not until 1972, 58 years after President Woodrow Wilson made Mother’s Day official, that the day became a nationwide holiday in the United States.
You know, growing up as a kid, I will be honest, I didn’t like some of the things that my father made me do.  My father was a man that believed in the word of God and its principles.  He believed in doing the best at what you put your hands to do.  By the world's standards, we would have been classified as poor.  But by God’s standards we were rich, because there was always food in our house and lots of love.  My dad did not spare the rod (according to scriptures) when we were wrong or disobedient to him or someone else in authority that gave us instructions. And today, I can say that I am where I am because my father taught us good work ethics, respect for authority, how to treat other people, and made us go to church and Sunday school.  Being a dad is no joke.  You’re a teacher, a counselor, a coach, a financial adviser, a judge and jury, and a protector all rolled in to one.  If you’re already a father, you know that all too well.  If you aren’t, then the prospect of that becoming a reality is likely as terrifying as it is exciting.
 When the disciples asked Jesus to teach them to pray, He began by drawing their attention to giving honor and respect for their heavenly Father by saying, "And when you pray say, “Our Father which art in heaven, hallow it be Thy name" (Luke 11:1-2).  There seems to be a loss for the respect of our Heavenly Father and the position of fatherhood these days.  But those of us who are born again must learn to give honor to whom honor is due.  Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right.  Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promise;) That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth.  Dad’s may you be blessed this day.  Children (of all ages) may you honor your Dad today and every day.

 Happy Father’s Day!

Sing: Heavenly Father, I appreciate You! Heavenly Father, I appreciate You! I love You, adore You, I bow down before You, Heavenly Father, I appreciate You.

Thought For Today: “The greatest mark of a father is how he treats his children when no one is watching.”  Dan Pearce

No comments:

Post a Comment