Wednesday, November 11, 2015

2015 November 11 - Morning Manna

Thou therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus. And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also. Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ. No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier. (2 Timothy 2:1-4)

Today's Morsel:  Today, America honors our Veterans.  The Bible tells us to give honor to whom honor is due.  I think that every man and woman who is willing to serve their country to ensure freedom and protection should be always honored.  Not because I am a veteran myself, but because, as President Calvin Coolidge said, "The nation that forgets its defender, will itself be forgotten!"   The day that a nation forgets those who protects her, will be the day that the nation will see itself forgotten.
I'm sure that every veteran alive today can share with you about their military experience.  They can tell you stories about:
  • Their first day of induction
  • Their basic training
  • Their times of loneliness and hurts
  • Their war experience
  • Their deployments
  • Their comrades
  • Their times of crying because of lost friends
  • Their times of comforting a comrade when word came that a parent or other loved one had passed away
  • Their holidays away from home
  • Their pay that didn't give them enough to meet the bills that were due
  • Their questions to the orders they received from higher authority
  • Their time on guard duty
  • Their shots
  • Having to remember the nomenclature and serial number of their assigned weapon
  • Kitchen police
  • Standing in the rain and cold while their leaders were in warm tents and buildings
  • The marching
  • The parades
  • And the list could go on and on
You see, this are all things that help to make a good soldier.  The apostle Paul told his protégé' Timothy, this young soldier in Christ, that, " Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ. No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier." Soldiers are:
Submitted
Obedient
Loyal
Dedicated
Innovative
Enthused
Ready

These are some of the qualities that must be in every soldier, especially, a soldier of Jesus Christ.  We are honoring our veterans today, and I salute my fellow comrades in arms.  I also give honor to my fellow soldiers in the Lord's Army.  We are marching onward to victory.

Sing:  I'm a soldier, in God's army, and I'm fighting, I'm claiming victory.  I will not give up, I will not turn around, I'm a soldier, marching heaven bound.

Thought for Today: "The nation that forgets its defender, will itself be forgotten!"  President Calvin Coolidge 

No comments:

Post a Comment