Thursday, June 21, 2012

2012 June 21 - Morning Manna

And Cain talked with Abel his brother: and it came to pass, when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his brother, and slew him. (Genesis 4:8)
Today's Morsel: One of the things I often with Scripture, is that we are left to draw our own conclusions on somethings. For example, Scripture doesn't tell us why Cain killed his brother Abel. It just says that Cain talked with Abel his brother: And it came to pass, when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his brother, and slew him. No explanation to the reason. Somewhat like others when we hear that someone kills someone, we ask why. And because so many plead insanity, we are left to draw our own conclusions. We do know that the writer of Hebrews said that God had respect to Abel's offering (Hebrews 11:4), but the reason for killing his brother isn't known through that passage. And we know that Paul tells us that the love of money is the root of all evil (1 Timothy 6:10), but even that doesn't tell us why Cain killed Abel, does it? If the love of money is the root of all evil, then maybe it was a strife over money, land, livestock, or maybe it was just a brother-to-brother dispute that ended in death. Or maybe Abel was like Joseph and told their dad what his brother was doing that wasn't right. If it was over water rights and land; as Abraham's and Lot's men had strife over, then we can learn how to handle such conflicts. Abraham handled it diplomatically. He allowed his nephew to choose so there would be no strife. But what do we learn from the story of Cain and Abel? I think what we should learn is that we need to control our anger. Scripture tells us to be angy and sin not. We need to be willing to talk, even when angry, in a way that do not bring hurt to others. We should also learn that we are called to love one another as Christ loved us. Especially brothers. And we should learn that God is always watching our every move and actions and we will be accountable for them.
Sing: I came to Jesus weary, worn, and sad, He took my sins away, He took my sins away. And now on Him I roll my every care, He took my sins away.
He took my sins away! He took my sins away! He keeps me singing every day. I'm so glad He took my sins away, He took my sins away.

No comments:

Post a Comment