Monday, April 17, 2023

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 2023 April 17

Growing From Grief

“Then the disciples went away again unto their own home. But Mary stood without at the sepulchre weeping: and as she wept, she stooped down, and looked into the sepulchre, And seeth two angels in white sitting, the one at the head, and the other at the feet, where the body of Jesus had lain. And they say unto her, Woman, why weepest thou? She saith unto them, Because they have taken away my Lord, and I know not where they have laid him.” (John 20:10-13)

Today’s Morsel: My father passed away when I was a junior in high school. I had one brother who had just enlisted in the army and another who was completing his term of duty. My father had always been our sole provider. During this grieving process, I kept asking myself, now what? What will my mother and I do? I had never been taught about growing and moving on after grief, I was just a teen. Back then, parents didn’t usually talk with their children about growing through grief and how to move on.  You hear things such as everyone grieves differently. But I have learned that if I remain in my grief for too long, it will cause anxiety, stress, and loss of focus. If I allow my grief to consume me, my mind will focus on the hurt and pain that I am be going through, and then the I am more likely to become isolated.  If my Mom had done this, I would have been left to figure everything out on my own, I am so grateful that she did not allow her grief to consume her.  She somehow found it within herself to focus on the Lord and go on with everyday life.  For me, then I knew I had to make up my mind to move on. I knew that if I was going to overcome this loss, I had to go forward. I couldn’t stop doing the things that I knew I ought to keep doing. And after becoming a born-again Christian, I can now see that God was working in the background helping me navigate through my grief for His purpose in my life. And today, I would like to share with you five ways that I believe God helped me and caused me to grow during my grief:

1. Pray for God to hold you during your grieving process.  

 “Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.” (Isaiah 41:10)

2. Remember the times you had with the deceased.

“Remember the former things of old: for I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me,” (Isaiah 46:9)

3. Keep attending church and giving God praise.

“Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.” (Psalms 16:11)

4. Keep your mind stayed on Jesus.

“Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee. Trust ye in the LORD for ever: for in the LORD JEHOVAH is everlasting strength:” (Isaiah 26:3-4)

5. Listen to God for what He will have you to do.

“The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way.” (Psalms 37:23)

Our ability to adapt and overcome the loss of a loved one will rest in our ability to keep God in His rightful place. God knows what we are going through, and He will not leave us nor forsake us during our grieving process.

Sing: Who is this who for our sorrow offers comfort and relief, bringing sunshine to the dark and shadowed life; Saying soft cease repining lift thy soul above its grief, let the peace pass understanding still the strife.   It is Jesus, Jesus, sad ones weep no more; He will heal the brokenhearted open wide the prison door, He is able to deliver ever more. 


No comments:

Post a Comment