Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 2016 January 12

"I the Preacher was king over Israel in Jerusalem. And I gave my heart to seek and search out by wisdom concerning all things that are done under heaven: this sore travail hath God given to the sons of man to be exercised therewith. I have seen all the works that are done under the sun; and, behold, all is vanity and vexation of spirit. That which is crooked cannot be made straight: and that which is wanting cannot be numbered. I communed with mine own heart, saying, Lo, I am come to great estate, and have gotten more wisdom than all they that have been before me in Jerusalem: yea, my heart had great experience of wisdom and knowledge. And I gave my heart to know wisdom, and to know madness and folly: I perceived that this also is vexation of spirit. For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow"
(Ecclesiastes 1:12-18)

Today's Morsel:  Often, when we read the wisdom spoken by King Solomon, it can be hard to understand if we look at it through worldly lenses.   That is one of the reasons that I believe that he cautions us to not only get wisdom, but to get an understanding with it (Proverbs 4:7).  He said that he gave himself to know wisdom and he concludes that for in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow. But Solomon isn't talking about godly wisdom.  He's referring to worldly wisdom.  This is why I believe so many people today are in much grief and sorrow.  It is because they have given themselves to obtain worldly wisdom instead of godly wisdom.  Worldly wisdom will only carry you so far.  And once you are faced with a tough trial, you won't know what to do.  When one can call evil good and good evil, he has endowed himself to worldly wisdom.  You see, godly wisdom increases strength and knowledge within us (Proverbs 24:5).  Godly wisdom brings joy and hope.  It causes you to rise up when you fall.  It gives you moral and physical stamina to go to the distance and stand for right versus wrong.  The mind is a terrible thing to waste on a world that is going to pass away.  Don't waste your time merely getting worldly wisdom, seek to gain godly wisdom.  And with all your getting, get an understanding.

Sing: Deeper! Deeper! In the love of Jesus daily let me go, higher, higher, in the school of wisdom, more of grace to know.

Thought For Today:  No one ever reaches his full potential without godly wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment