Saturday, June 2, 2012

2012 June 2 - Morning Manna

Make haste, O God, to deliver me; make haste to help me, O LORD. Let them be ashamed and confounded that seek after my soul: let them be turned backward, and put to confusion, that desire my hurt. Let them be turned back for a reward of their shame that say, Aha, aha. Let all those that seek thee rejoice and be glad in thee: and let such as love thy salvation say continually, Let God be magnified. But I am poor and needy: make haste unto me, O God: thou art my help and my deliverer; O LORD, make no tarrying. (Psalms 70:1-5)


Today's Morsel: When I was in the Army and serving as a First Sergeant, each morning at the end of formation I would ask the soldiers if anyone had any problems. I knew that if they had any issues we needed to address them so that they could take care of them, this way the problem would not grow and impact our unit readiness. And they knew that if they had problems and they did not seek out help at the earliest stage, if it came to me later, they would be as Solomon said, standing before a mean man (my wording). This prayer of David is short and to the point. He cried out to God for His help in the face of an emergency. It's possible to pray at any time and any place, and it is especially important when we are faced with a sudden temptation or dilemma. For many people, prayer is the last solution they think of in times of trouble. They try all kinds of human solutions before looking to God for help. But we who are born again and wise should always pray about everything. Paul admonishes us, "Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus"(Philippians 4:6-7). And he also told the church at Thessalonica, "Pray without ceasing"(1 Thessalonians 5:17). Jesus spake a parable unto them to this end, "That men ought always to pray, and not to faint" (Luke 18:1). We need to get into a habit of prayer about everything. Let's say that prayer is the way of staying in touch with heaven before things happen.


Sing: Hear my cry, oh God, attend unto my prayer, from the ends of the earth will I cry unto thee; and when my heart is overwhelmed, lead me to that rock that is higher than I, so much higher than I.

No comments:

Post a Comment