Thursday, April 16, 2020

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 16 April 2020

Inheritance

A good man leaveth an inheritance to his children's children: and the wealth of the sinner is laid up for the just.(Proverbs 13:22)

Today’s Morsel:  One of the things that I do when I’m reading the Bible and I come across those patriarchs like Joseph, Moses, Joshua, Caleb, Ruth, Daniel, and the Apostle Paul is that I give God thanks for the inheritance they left us when it comes to Godly character and wisdom.  You know, we can leave our descendants lots of things, but if they do not talk about our character and wisdom, we haven’t really left them much of anything at all.  They say that the measure of a man’s character is not what he gets from his ancestors, but what he leaves his descendants.  “Behold, I have taught you statutes and judgments, even as the LORD my God commanded me, Moses said, (Emphasis added) that ye should do so in the land whither ye go to possess it. Keep therefore and do them; for this is your wisdom and your understanding in the sight of the nations, which shall hear all these statutes, and say, Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people. For what nation is there so great, who hath God so nigh unto them, as the LORD our God is in all things that we call upon him for? And what nation is there so great, that hath statutes and judgments so righteous as all this law, which I set before you this day? Only take heed to thyself, and keep thy soul diligently, lest thou forget the things which thine eyes have seen, and lest they depart from thy heart all the days of thy life: but teach them thy sons, and thy sons' sons; Specially the day that thou stoodest before the LORD thy God in Horeb, when the LORD said unto me, Gather me the people together, and I will make them hear my words, that they may learn to fear me all the days that they shall live upon the earth, and that they may teach their children.(Deuteronomy 4:5-10)  The greatest inheritance we can leave our descendants is a love for the things of God.

Sing:  If that isn’t love the ocean is dry, there’s no stars in the sky, and the sparrow can’t fly!  If that isn’t love, then heaven’s a myth, there’s no feeling like this; is that isn’t love.

Thought For Today: “The greatest inheritance we can leave our descendants is a love for the things of God” (Parker)

No comments:

Post a Comment