Thursday, April 3, 2014

2014 April 3 - Morning Manna

And that ye study to be quiet, and to do your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you; That ye may walk honestly toward them that are without, and that ye may have lack of nothing. (1 Thessalonians 4:11-12)
 
Today's Morsel:   I can remember when I was a kid, I used to hear the old folks say, "If you keep your mouth shut, people and the devil won't know what you are thinking."   Paul told the church at Thessalonica that they study to be quiet, and to do their own business.  When the 50 sons of the prophets that followed Elijah and Elisha prior to the transition between them, the son of the prophets kept telling Elisha, that God was going to take Elijah from him, to which Elisha keeping telling them, "I know, so shut your mouth." (my wording) (2 Kings 2:1-15). Maybe Elisha was saying, "I'm trying to listen to what he's trying to tell me from God, and you keep trying to discourage me."  James tells us that the man that can bridle his tongue can control his whole body. Understand, God gave us two ears and one mouth, therefore, we should listen twice as much as we speak.  When people can't control their tongue, they become gossipers, busybodies, and they sow discord, which God hates.  Solomon admonishes us that there is a time to keep silent, and a time to speak (Ecclesiastes 3:7), and the man who knows to do which is a wise man.  Loose lips always sink ships.  If you are going to tell something, go spread the gospel as that is what the world always needs to hear.  If we study to be quiet, I believe we can save ourselves a whole lot of trouble.
 
Sing: Go tell it on the mountain, over the hills and everywhere, go tell it on the mountain, that Jesus Christ is born.

No comments:

Post a Comment