Monday, November 29, 2010

2010 November 29 - Morning Manna

"The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever "(Psalms 23:1-6).

Today's Morsel:  How strong is your confidence in God?  Is it as David's?  Psalms 23 is often heard during the times of bereavement more than any other time.  This has been known as the comforter psalm.  This psalm seems to give people strength in those low-estate times more than some of the other ones.  All of God's Word is designed to strengthen us in our affliction, but Psalms 23 seems to have a special place for many during those tough times.  David, who had been through so much in his life, gives us a portrait of this psalm by using the analogy of a shepherd to His sheep.  He says that the Lord is his shepherd.  Jesus is our Shepherd (John 10:11&14).  Therefore, He will protect us and provide for us. We have no need to fret of things and our needs as the Shepherd will provide them for us.  David said that the shepherd (Jesus) will make us to lie down in green pastures and will lead us by still waters.  Still waters run deep, and Jesus is the living water (John 4).  When we are weak, lonely, and without joy, the Shepherd will restore our soul.  He sends us help from the sanctuary and strengthengths us out of Zion (Psalms 20:1-2).  And because we are His (1 John 3:1-4), His goodness and mercy will always be with us no matter where we are or where we go.  So don't worry, He will never leave you nor forsake you.

Sing:  He leadeth me!  He leadeth me!  By His own hand He leadeth me; His faithful follower I will be, for by His hand He leadeth me.

No comments:

Post a Comment