Thursday, July 14, 2016

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 2016 July 14

For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread: And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me. After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me. For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come. 
(1 Corinthians 11:23-26)

Today’s Morsel:  I often ponder on the Last Supper that Jesus had with His disciples.  I wonder what they talked about and what He shared with them.  After three years with Him, what questions did they ask now?  What was on the dinner table for their meal?  What reminders did He give them?  Did He rehearse with them as Moses had done with the children of Israel before they went into the promise land?  We do know Paul said, “That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread: And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me. After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.”  He explained the purpose of communion to them.  When you take communion, do you remember Jesus?  Does it draw you closer to Him? Does it make you do a self-examination to ensure you are living the way that He wants you to live?  For me, communion is not a block checker.  It’s a time of remembrance of what the Lord has done for me, and I don’t have to do that every day because His creation and word are daily reminds me of this to me.  And so I offer unto Him the sacrifices of praise continually with the fruits of my lips giving Him thanks.  Yet the time of communion is a special time, one that Jesus said should be done in remembrance of His sacrifice.  We can be thankful for the sweet communion we have with our Savior.

Sing:  Lord, I lift my spirit, to Your Spirit, in holy sweet communion. And I sense Your Holy Presence, as I draw nearer; Lord I lift my spirit to You!

Thought For Today: Communion is just a sweet reminder of His love (Parker). 

No comments:

Post a Comment