Friday, July 1, 2016

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 2016 July 1

I beseech you, brethren, (ye know the house of Stephanas, that it is the firstfruits of Achaia, and that they have addicted themselves to the ministry of the saints,) That ye submit yourselves unto such, and to every one that helpeth with us, and laboureth. 
(1 Corinthians 16:15-16).

Today’s Morsel:  The person addicted to drugs, alcohol, or tobacco can’t seem to get enough.   They will spend everything that they have to get that next fix, high, or drag.  We refer to them as being hooked.  And we say, that if God doesn’t deliver them, there’s really no hope for them to be set free.  Solomon said that there are four things that are never satisfied.  The grave, the barren womb, dry ground, and fire (Proverbs 30:15-16, my wording).  I wonder what would happen if every Christian would addict themselves to the ministry as the house of Stephanas did? Wouldn’t it be great if every Christian just couldn’t seem to get enough of Jesus and the work that He’s called them to?  Paul, like Stephanas' house, had addicted himself to the ministry.  He told the church “For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of: for necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel!” (1 Corinthians 9:16).  He also told them, “What mean ye to weep and to break mine heart? for I am ready not to be bound only, but also to die at Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus. And when he would not be persuaded, we ceased, saying, The will of the Lord be done” (Acts 21:13-14).  We should not try to stop those who have addicted themselves to the work of the Lord.  If they want to go to the mission’s field, let them go.  If they want to witness for the Lord, let them witness.  If they want to clean the church, let them clean.   Give them clear instructions as Paul did Timothy and Titus and let them go. As General George Patton said, “Never tell a man how to do things. Tell them what needs to be done and let them surprise you with their ingenuity.”

Sing: Set a fire down in my soul, that I can’t contain that I can’t control, I want more of You God, I want more of You God.

Thought For Today: Shouldn’t every Christian be addicted to the things of God? (Parker)

No comments:

Post a Comment