Friday, April 12, 2019

Morning Manna by Rufus Parker - 12 April 2019

Despondency

Then Moses heard the people weep throughout their families, every man in the door of his tent: and the anger of the LORD was kindled greatly; Moses also was displeased. And Moses said unto the LORD, Wherefore hast thou afflicted thy servant? and wherefore have I not found favour in thy sight, that thou layest the burden of all this people upon me? Have I conceived all this people? have I begotten them, that thou shouldest say unto me, Carry them in thy bosom, as a nursing father beareth the sucking child, unto the land which thou swarest unto their fathers? Whence should I have flesh to give unto all this people? for they weep unto me, saying, Give us flesh, that we may eat. I am not able to bear all this people alone, because it is too heavy for me. And if thou deal thus with me, kill me, I pray thee, out of hand, if I have found favour in thy sight; and let me not see my wretchedness.” (Numbers 11:10-15)


Today’s Morsel:  One of the things about despondency is that it can just pop up anytime and without notice.  We can find ourselves unhappy, sad, dejected, or even in a state of deep misery at a moments notice and not know where it came from.  We can even lose hope and courage if we are not careful.  But God knew that this could happen to us, and so He gave us a garment of the praise for the spirit of heaviness. ( See Isaiah 61:3)  Moses found himself in such a state of despondency that he reasoned with God that if he didn’t receive some help then just kill him. Despondency, if not dealt with, can cause a deep state of depression or even suicide.  Solomon even warns that Heaviness in the heart of man maketh it stoop: but a good word maketh it glad.” (Proverbs 12:25)  Notice the answer to overcoming despondency, a good word.  We must hide the Word of God in our heart.  We must stay in church.  We must have a time of daily devotions.  His good word will edify us in times of despondency.  “And David was greatly distressed; for the people spake of stoning him, because the soul of all the people was grieved, every man for his sons and for his daughters: but David encouraged himself in the LORD his God.” (1 Samuel 30:6)  David encouraged himself in the Lord his God.  If it worked for David and it’ll work for you, too.

Sing:  Why should I feel discouraged? And why should the shadows come?  Why should I feel so lonely? And long for heaven and home?  When Jesus is my portion, a constant friend is He.  His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches over me.
I sing because I’m happy.  I sing because I’m free.  His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches over me.


Thought For Today: Whose side are you leaning on?

No comments:

Post a Comment