Monday, December 3, 2012

2012 December 3 - Morning Manna

The word which came to Jeremiah from the LORD, saying, Arise, and go down to the potter's house, and there I will cause thee to hear my words. Then I went down to the potter's house, and, behold, he wrought a work on the wheels. And the vessel that he made of clay was marred in the hand of the potter: so he made it again another vessel, as seemed good to the potter to make it. Then the word of the LORD came to me, saying, O house of Israel,cannot I do with you as this potter? saith the LORD. Behold, as the clay is in the potter's hand, so are ye in mine hand, O house of Israel. (Jeremiah 18:1-6)
Today's Morsel: Why did God send Jeremiah down to the potters house? Why couldn't He just tell him what He wanted him to know? Because a picture is better that a thousand words. God wanted Jeremiah to observe how the potter does business. He wanted him to see the tedious work that a potter goes through just to ensure the right vessel is being produced. Because the potters name will be affixed to that vessel, he's not about to produced something that isn't valuable. Jeremiah noticed that the vessel that was being made had a mar and so the potter made it over again. This is what happens to us. Because of sin, we became marred and God needed to make us over again. He told Nicodemus, "You must be born again." God isn't about to turn out a vessel that is marred or has a crack to represent Him. When He places us back on the potter's wheel it is sometime painful and rough. But God understands what the vessel must go through if it is going to represent Him. As He told Ananias about Paul in Acts 9, I will show him what he must suffer for my name sake (my word). Paul told Timothy, "But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour. If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work. Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart" (2 Timothy 2:20-22). To be what God wants out of us, we have to remove things from our lives. The remaking is sometimes pain. This re-wheeling and re-firing process may make you think that you are spinning out of control and your life is in a fiery mess. But if you hold on, when you come out of the fire, you'll be a vessel of honor and one fit for the Master's use.
Sing: Make me what I ought to be. Help me to more like Thee. Bid me come up higher, till Thou face I see. Lord, help me to be more like Thee.

No comments:

Post a Comment