Monday, February 6, 2012

2012 February 6 - Morning Manna

Jesus answered them, and said, My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me. If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself. (John 7:16-17)
Today's Morsel: I'm amazed at the number of people who don't know the doctrine of Jesus Christ. Not only that, I'm amazed at the number of people who don't even know what their church believes and teaches. Yet, they will all tell you that they know truth. I'm not being critical here, but one would think that if a person is attending a church and call it their church, and that the personb that heads the assembly is their pastor, they would at least know his/her name and what they stand for. Paul said that we are to know them that labor amongst us. I've heard people say, those people are Oneness; or they are Trinitarians; or they are Pentecostal; they are Apostolic; they are Protestant; they Mormon; they are Catholic, etc. But what does all that mean when it comes to doctrine? Nothing. Doctrine is the basic teaching and belief that one holds to be true. Doctrine serves two purposes. First, to ensure you are in compliance with higher instructions, and second, to enforce the standard. As Paul told Timothy, "As I besought thee to abide still at Ephesus, when I went into Macedonia, that thou mightest charge some that they teach no other doctrine" (1 Timothy 1:3), and to "Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee"(1 Timothy 4:16). He told the church at Rome, "Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them" (Romans 16:17). Jesus said, "My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me. If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself." If anyone knew the doctrine of Jesus, it was the apostle Paul. So what was Jesus' doctrine? "And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day: And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. And ye are witnesses of these things. And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high"(Luke 24:46-49). "Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call" (Acts 2:38-39). So it really doesn't matter what you call yourself, the question is, are you in the doctrine of Jesus Christ and His apostles.
Sing: Saved and I'm happy to day, thanks be to God, for this I can say, that I'm saved and I'm happy today, walking up the Kings highway!

No comments:

Post a Comment