Sunday, January 31, 2010

1 February 2010 - Morning Manna

Hear my prayer, O LORD, and give ear unto my cry; hold not thy peace at my tears: for I am a stranger with thee, and a sojourner, as all my fathers were. O spare me, that I may recover strength, before I go hence, and be no more.  (Psalms 39:12-13)

Today’s Morsel: The woman we know as Sojourner Truth was born into slavery in New York as Isabella Baumfree (after her father's owner, Baumfree). She was sold as a slave several times, and while owned by the John Dumont family in Ulster County, New York, she married Thomas, another of Dumont's slaves. What was unique about slavery was that slaves often times were given the last name of their masters. Sojourner had five children with Thomas. In 1827, New York law emancipated all slaves, but Isabella had already left. In 1843, she took the name Sojourner Truth, believing this to be on the instructions of the Holy Spirit and became a traveling preacher (the meaning of her new name). The word sojourner means a short stay at a place. The Apostle Paul said of the patriarch of old, “These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth. For they that say such things declare plainly that they seek a country. And truly, if they had been mindful of that country from whence they came out, they might have had opportunity to have returned. But now they desire a better country, that is, an heavenly: wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city” (Hebrews 11:13-16). They saw themselves as strangers and pilgrims in this earth. They did not put down their stakes upon this earth, but they looked for a better place. Always remember that Jesus is the truth and that we are of Him. He’s gone to prepare a place for us and will soon come again to take us to the place He has prepared for us. Therefore, we are sojourners of truth in this land until Jesus comes and takes us to that better and permanent place. So don’t put your stakes down to deep for you tomorrow you might be out of here.

Sing: I’m getting ready to leave this place, I’m getting ready for those gates of pearls, keeping my record straight, watching both day and night, well I’m getting ready to leave this place.

1 comment:

  1. io jogos gratis
    play free friv Games
    a10 kids

    I am cool with the page and fine with it being an open page. I only bring it up because there was recently a thread on the page discussing the open nature of the page. During that thread it was pointed out that the church opted not to operate a facebook page and so several congregants began and administer the page.

    ReplyDelete